Wednesday, December 19, 2018

My First Pair of Shoes

My First Shoes:

While living in Wellington, I accidentally found the Shoe School on Instagram.  I enrolled and attended the 5-day course and made a pair of colourful derby boots. It was a fantastic introduction to shoe making without the investment and I recommend it if you are unsure about wanting to learn to make your own shoes at home. Making a single pair of shoes in a week will not make you any kind of expert but at least you will know if you like it. Be warned, I was instantly hooked.

This blog is dedicated to documenting my shoe making journey. Making your own shoes requires considerable time, money and energy. Unlike sewing, information on the subject is hard to find because there aren't very many people making their own shoes anymore. The cordwainer apprenticeship no longer exists, most of the industry has been moved to developing countries and simplified to reduce costs wherever possible. From the few posts I've made on Instagram, I've received more questions and interest than I anticipated.

Even as I type, my computer wants to correct the word 'cordwainer', meaning shoemaker (as opposed to cobbler; someone who repairs shoes) to 'container'...

Please enjoy my bright derby boots. I never want to wear another pair of organ-coloured boring shoes again.




Why Make Shoes?

I love shoes, I'm sure many of us can relate. A beautiful pair of shoes instantly elevates an outfit. I am guilty of choosing my shoes before the rest of my clothes for the day. Shoes are forgiving, they usually still fit you even if you have lost or gained weight.

Unfortunately my love of beautiful shoes is increasingly at odds with my dislike for fast fashion, mindless consumerism, exploitation of the poor and compromised quality. Even brands I used to enjoy seem to be reducing the quality of their products every year.

Additionally, while my feet are average sized for a woman (about a US 8 or 39) they are wide and most shoes are uncomfortably narrow. Only some of my shoes relax enough after months of painful wear, leather or not. As a student I bought most of my clothes second hand. I quickly learned that trying to wear second hand shoes is not ideal, as the shoes have been worn and formed to a differently shaped foot. 

Over the past year or so, I have sold most of my clothes and sewn myself a new wardrobe while teaching myself to sew. It has been one of the best things I have done. Everything I now have fits me perfectly and is made in a style/fabric/colour I enjoy, regardless or whether or not it is in fashion! I own much less overall and feel content knowing that the things I've made will last for more than just a season. When I realised making my own shoes is achievable, I began to imagine creating my own well-fitting shoes to complete my handmade clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoemaking Project: Cut-out Derby Shoes for Travel

I designed these latest cut-out derby shoes with travel in mind. I will be on holiday in Vietnam and Thailand next month and usually do a lo...